Welcome to UMACP!
The UM Association of Chinese Professors (UMACP) was organized in late 2002. The mission of the Association is to promote friendship and interactions between Chinese professors at the University of Michigan, to exchange ideas on how to thrive at the University of Michigan and how to excel as an educator and researcher, to have a support network and to promote the interests of its members, and to promote academic and cultural exchange between China and the US. Here is the UMACP bylaw.
UM-ACP has presented the gift: "The University of Michigan in China" (ISBN-10: 1607854279), a book authored by David Ward and Eugene Chen, to the UM Bicentennial Celebration.
This book tells the stories of twenty remarkable individuals who have their shared bond with the University of Michigan and helped transform China in different ways. These individuals also generated many "firsts": first Chinese students at the UM, first female college president of China, and many “fathers” of disciplines: Wu Dayou (吴大猷), father of physics in China; Zheng Zuoxin (郑作新), father of Chinese ornithology; Zeng Chengkui (曾呈奎), father of marine botany.
- 11/29/2018: Congratulations to Profs. Liangyou Rui, Jiandie Lin and Zhan Chen as the AAAS Fellows.
- 11/13/2018: Dr. Feng Shao presented at Kahn Auditorium. Dr. Shao is the youngest academic member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and highly influential nationally and internationally in his scientific field. He is a University of Michigan alumnus - mentored by Jack Dixon (former Chair of Biological Chemistry) and graduated with his PhD in 2003. His talke was entitled "Innate immunity to cytosolic bacteria: Pyroptosis & Beyond." Meanwhile, Dr. Shao is the recipient of 2018 Distinguished Alumni Award, Association of Chinese Professors. [Photos 1, 2].
- 11/03/2018: Alice Huang, California Institute of Technology and past President of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) gave a talk to UM ACP members in a career development panel and lunch meeting. [Panel flyer] [Lunch meeting program] [Lab tour flyer] [Photos 1, 2, 3, 4].
- 8/30/2018: See the Global Reach report: U-M hosts Biomed Conference for Chinese alumni. Also check the PDF version.
- 8/12-8/16/2018: In the past 35 years, UM has trained hundreds of Chinese students/scholars. Currently, many of them are world leaders in biomedical field. They are Victors to promote UM excellence and legacy globally. We will host the first reunion for UM-trained transformative Chinese leaders in biomedical field. It will be a Scientific Forum in Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest on August 12 to 15, 2018.
- 3/23/2018: ACP Member meeting and visit to the M-City on self-driving cars and UM Transportation Research Institute.
- 11/28/2017: Victor Dzau, President of National Academy of Medicine give a talk to UM ACP members. [Flyer]
- 10/19/2017: Association of Chinese Professors welcome Wang Shi Delegation. [Photos: 1, 2, 3]
- 9/18/2017: UM-ACP co-hosted the 45th Anniversary Events for Ping Pong Diplomacy. Conducted in 1971-72, Ping Pong Diplomacy was instrumental in renewing ties between China and the United States, leading to the strong bilateral relations we enjoy today. U-M’s celebrations took on added meaning as we also hosted a delegation from the China Soong Ching Ling Foundation, including a group of high level table tennis players, two of whom participated in the 1972 games in Ann Arbor.[Flyer] [News: 1, 2, 3] [Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4] [More photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]
- 9/17/2017: UM-ACP hosted dinner to welcome the Ping Pong delegation from China.
- 3/11/2017: The 2017 Annual Dinner Event was successfully held. Representative photos taken during the event were also collected. We would like to thank several ACP members, 1. Drs. Jack Hu (VP Research, Engineering), 2. Albert Shih (Engineering), 3. Zhan Chen (Chemistry Dept), 4. Shuming Bao (UM China Data Center), 5. Chuanwu Xi (SPH), 6. Weiping Zou (Surgery Dept), 7. Shaomeng Wang (Internal Medicine), 8. Eugene Chen (Internal Medicine) for the financial supports to ACP Dinner Event on March 11. The generosity from these members provided this dinner event free to all of our members.
- 2/10/2017: Dr. Eugene Chen (UMACP president) sent out an Email invitation to invite all UMACP members to attend the 2017 Annual Dinner Event to be held at Travis Pointe Country Club (2829 Travis Pointe Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48108) on March 11, 2016, which will start at 5:00 PM. The deadline of registration will be on Friday, March 3, 2017.
- 10/20/2016: Dr. Brian Wu and Dr. Eugene Chen on behalf of UM-ACP hosted a round table discussion with Dr. Justin Yifu Lin (林毅夫, http://en.nsd.edu.cn/article.asp?articleid=6948), Professor at Peking University and Former Chief Economist of the World Bank. Dr. Lin shared his views about what’s going on in China, and its implications for academic careers and opportunities in China. When: on Thursday, October 20, 2016 between 9:00 AM and11:00 AM. Where: Ross School of Business, Room B1570 (the new addition). See photos 1, 2, and 3.
- 9/6/2016: Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) China is interested in collaborating with UM Professors, especially Professors having any China connection. One of their senior directors, Larry Zhu visited UM on September 6, 2016. He gave a presentation to update JNJ collaborative opportunities. Where: NCRC10 - South Atrium.
When: On Tuesday, September 6 at noon to 1:00 PM.
What: Potential Innovation Funds from JNJ China.
The lunch was provided. See images: meeting ad, meeting sight 1, and meeting sight 2.
- 3/19/2016: The 2016 Annual Dinner Event was successfully held at Travis Pointe Country Club at Ann Arbor. Please check the detail in the event website. Two modifications of the bylaws were approved unanimously after discussion and voting: (i) Each term will be two years instead of one year; (2) One more representative is added to the North Campus Research Complex (NCRC) campus in Ann Arbor.
- 2/23/2016: Dr. Eugene Chen (UMACP president) sent out an Email invitation to invite all UMACP members to attend the 2016 Annual Dinner Event to be held at Travis Pointe Country Club (2829 Travis Pointe Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48108) on March 19, 2016, which starts at 5:00 PM.
- 1/16/2016 (Saturday): A lunch meeting organized by Eugene Chen, the new UMACP president.
- 11/16/2015: Dr. Jing Sun announced the election results: "Dr. Eugene Chen (Medical School) has been elected as the ACP 2016 president and Dr. Albert Shih (College of Engineering) has been elected as the the ACP 2016 president-elect. Their terms will start January 1st, 2016." The Election committee includes: Jing Sun, PhD, current President; Chuanwu Xi, PhD, Immediate Past President; Youxue Zhang, PhD, Founding President of ACP. Congratulatoins, Eugene and Albert!
- 3/28/2015: The UMACP 2015 General Meeting was taken at 6-8:30 pm on March 28, 2015, at Asican City, Ypsilanti, MI. See the meeting minutes for detail. An important item in this meeting is that we discussed, amended, and eventually passed a new UMACP Bylaw. Note: this new UMACP bylaw is a modified version of the original UMACP bylaw.
- 2/22/2015: The first 2015 UMACP Executive Committee meeting was held in Dr. Jing Sun's home.
- 2/12/2015: Prof. Jing Sun (new UMACP president) announced the UMACP Executive Committee.
- 2/9/2015: Prof. Chuanwu Xi announced that Prof. Jing Sun would become the new UM ACP president.
- 5/1/2014: Prof. Shaomeng Wang received the very prestigious Distinguished University Innovator Award from Dr. S. Jack Hu (Interim Vice President for Research) and presented a wonderful talk in Ford Amphitheatre, University of Michigan Hospital.
- 3/19/2014: Congratulations to Prof. Shaomeng Wang for winning the very prestigious Distinguished University Innovator Award. Please see more information about this award in the University Record.
- 2/20/2014: Dr. Shaomeng Wang organized a Round-Table Discussion with Visit of China Pharmaceutical University Delegate in the Cancer Center/Third Floor Conference Room.
- 2/15/2014: ACP annual dinner meeting/new year celebration from 6-9:30 pm in Asia City.
- 1/19/2014: Dr. Chuanwu Xi (president of UMACP) announced in an email (to acprofs): "Our ACP annual dinner meeting/new year celebration will be on Saturday 2/15/14 from 6-9:30 pm in Asia City. All members and families are cordially invited to join the celebration of many achievements of our members last year and in the past. Please save the date and time on your calendar. Detailed program will follow soon."
- 5/31/2013: Engineering in Medicine, Visiting Professor’s lecture, Professor Shu Chien from UCSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shu_Chien). See the Event Flyer.
- 6/1/2013: ACP Career Advancement Workshop: Honored Keynote Speaker: Professor Shu Chien from UCSD. See the Event Flyer.
- 2/10/2013: Chinese New Year Party: The related information is here:
More UMACP News.